What Certifications are Needed to Work in a New York Restaurant?

Working in a restaurant in New York requires certain certifications and permits from the state and city agencies. All employees who prepare or serve food must obtain their food handler license within 30 days of being hired. This includes chefs, cooks, waiters, baristas and other staff. Buses and general managers may not be required to do so.

At least one of the restaurant's employees must become a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) and pass an approved food safety exam. Taking a course before the exam is not necessary, but it can be beneficial.The New York State Department of Health is responsible for issuing licenses to various businesses and food establishments in the state. This includes any retail food store where food and food products are offered to the consumer for consumption outside the facility and do not process food. Any food storage facility where food is stored for commercial distribution must also obtain a license.

All restaurant supervisors must become certified food managers, and any other restaurant employee must obtain their food handler license when approving a food safety program.In addition, a process review (programmed process) is required for any food product manufactured in New York State for which a critical control point is needed to address any or all of the public health hazards associated with the products.

Leave Message

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *